I am a huge travel-bug. I love the excitement and anticipation that I feel when I know I have an upcoming trip planned. Some of my favourite places that I’ve travelled to in recent years include Spain, Greece, Thailand, Israel, Morocco, Dubai, Bali, and many more. However I know that traveling is a stressor on my immune system and can cause tummy troubles, so there are always a few things that I always ensure that I pack to help prevent & alleviate any adverse symptoms. Here are my go-to’s:
1) Travel probiotics – I personally use the Genestra HMF Travel probiotics, which is a shelf-stable formula, so it doesn’t need to be refrigerated. It contains 35 billion CFU per day. Taking a daily probiotic helps to support a healthy gastrointestinal microflora especially when facing unfamiliar foods, potentially contaminated water, jetlag, and stress from traveling which can all affect the normal composition of your gut flora.
2) Medicinal mushrooms – I love how the Four Sigmatic mushroom elixirs packets are so convenient for traveling. They are dual-extracted, taste delicious, and can provide many health benefits. All you have to do is add hot water! I personally like traveling with the Chaga elixir because it has antioxidant properties and can support the immune function. They even have mushroom coffee blends packets made with 100% organic Arabica coffee if you’re a coffee-lover like me!
3) Magnesium – This is a mineral that many people are already deficient in! Drinking alcohol and indulging in refined and processed foods (often times our diet goes out the window while on vacation) can deplete our stores even more. I love bringing magnesium with me because it helps to improve my sleep quality especially while trying to fight off jetlag, help with constipation (see #4 below), and helps to relax my sore muscles (sitting on long haul flights can definitely make you feel sore and tight).
4) Smooth Move tea – Being away from home can cause us to get backed up, if you know what I mean. I don’t use this tea unless I absolutely have to, but not being able to go #2 can definitely make you feel pretty shitty (pun intended). If I need to, I’ll drink this tea at night before bed and I am almost always good to go in the morning!
5) Greens powder – I have tried a few different brands (to be honest, some of them taste like dirt!), and without a doubt, my all-time favorite has to be Organifi Green Juice. They even have to-go packets that you can just conveniently add to a water bottle and shake up. I bring a greens powder with me while traveling because I want to nourish my body with high quality ingredients and superfoods to ensure that I am in tip top shape! I generally eat pretty well even when traveling, but I definitely don’t deprive myself. If I want to eat fries on vacation, I will gladly eat the fries! I am human after all! Incorporating a greens powder daily just gives me a peace of mind!
6) Activated Charcoal - As careful as we try to be while traveling, there's always the dreadful risk of getting food poisoning...#travelersdiarrhea. I always carry activated charcoal pills with me, which work by absorbing the bacteria in your body so you can get rid of it on your next bowel movement.
I hope that you found this article useful. Happy and healthy travels!